Kids, Parents, and Teachers,
You can do a lot to help the creatures at Horsepen Run, even if you don’t visit.
Here are some simple steps:
- Don’t buy amphibian products like frog legs and dissection frogs. Use the University of Virginia’s FREE NetFrog instead: http://frog.edschool.virginia.edu/Frog2/Dissection/Setup/setup1.html
- Don’t disturb animal homes such as cocoons, pools full of tadpoles, birds’ nests, and hollow trees
- Do plant milkweed and nectar-producing flowers in your gardens
- Do avoid using pest control products that might kill beneficial insects or run off into streams and pollute rivers, wetlands, oceans, and bird habitats
- Do teach your family members to keep a respectful distance from all wild creatures: look, take photos, draw pictures, but don’t touch